Let's have an ice rink in Ely and do something positive
I FEEL that I would like to start a positive campaign in response to all the negative campaigns currently underway in the area.We are all aware of the Say No campaigns for Mereham, the Marina and the DIY store. I would like to see a campaign to give E
I FEEL that I would like to start a positive campaign in response to all the negative campaigns currently underway in the area.
We are all aware of the 'Say No' campaigns for Mereham, the Marina and the DIY store. I would like to see a campaign to give Ely something special in terms of the new sporting facilities that are currently being proposed. We are all aware of the potential of Ely becoming a commuter town by holding back the developments that are suggested, one way of ensuring that does not happen is by giving local residents an outstanding sporting facility to bring people to Ely for their leisure time.
We all know that the swimming pool is put to shame by the one in Thetford, the closure and re-fit has done absolutely nothing to rectify that. So I fully understand the need to build a new pool sooner rather than later.
If Ely truly has a blank canvas to work with on the site near the football and rugby clubs why do we not encourage not only a well-equipped swimming pool but also an ice rink? The closest ice rink to us at the moment is Peterborough. It's not really the easiest of places to get to for a couple of hours evening entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
I strongly believe that having an ice rink would set Ely apart and give us an opportunity to develop sporting excellence as well as providing a fun family orientated pastime.
You only have to look at the roller skating club that already exists to see the wealth of talent in the area. If at the planning stage this is included it could go below the multiplex cinema that is already being discussed.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 3 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
- 6 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 7 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 8 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 9 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 10 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
The question I would like to pose is this, when we have an opportunity such as this why don't we do something special rather than settling for mediocrity, the land is going to be built on so let's take this opportunity to give Ely something that will bring people into the city rather than heading for Cambridge or Peterborough.
King Edgar Close