Let's Focus On The Jewels Of Soham
SOHAM is the second largest town in East Cambridgeshire, geographically at the heart of the district, it has a fine school, with close proximity to the A14/A11 and it sits on the doorstep of a major economic engine rooms ie: Cambridge. There are world
SOHAM is the second largest town in East Cambridgeshire, geographically at the heart of the district, it has a fine school, with close proximity to the A14/A11 and it sits on the doorstep of a major economic engine rooms ie: Cambridge. There are world class businesses based here and a number of highly successful entrepreneurs running them.
The town boasts many fine period properties, a beautiful river and expansive green spaces, namely the commons. What's more, hundreds of people are moving to Soham.
So why is there a declining High Street, an increasing level of dormitory status and judging by a recent community meeting, a distinct lack of agreement about a host of issues?
Put another way, where is Soham now and where does it want to be in the coming years?
As a local council representative, these trends and lack of strategic vision have concerned me greatly.
So what is the answer?
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 3 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 7 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 8 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 9 Arts centre gets £25,000 post-Covid lifeline
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
Looking locally, what have successful local towns such as Cambridge, Newmarket and Ely done and continue to do? They are majoring on their strengths, deciding what's good for their communities, drawing in enthusiastic people that have help create a culture of aspiration.
I propose that we focus on what jewels Soham has and not just on what is lacking. The soon to be commissioned Soham Master Plan will be an opportunity for the town to contribute to a coherent visionary outline plan for the next 20 years. By highlighting the many attributes, like the commons, in a wider context, Soham has the opportunity to become an increasingly attractive place to live and work, a real thriving community for the 21st Century.
CLLR MARK DUCKWORTH