Last Chance To Put Your Views Forward For Changes To City's Future
MAY I use your columns to remind local people that the Ely Masterplan consultation is closing on November 16. This really is the last chance to put your views across. If you decide to make a contribution please look at the appendices to the plan, that
MAY I use your columns to remind local people that the Ely Masterplan consultation is closing on November 16. This really is the last chance to put your views across.
If you decide to make a contribution please look at the appendices to the plan, that is where a lot of crucial evidence lies. Particularly pertinent are the transport consultants' findings. If Ely is to be expanded at the rate and to the size proposed there will be huge negative impacts. Do we really want journey average speeds to more than halve, and journey trip times to more than double in the local area?
Is the building of an out-of-town sports centre, in the face of evidence that a central location is more likely to sustain the local economy, a good idea? The financial base for this project has to be suspect, relying as it will on borrowing against future receipts from housing that had not been built or planned for.
We have a new Local Development Framework, which proposes modest growth, we have seen nationally the impact of gambling on property values to finance lifestyles, why then would a local authority gamble on a similar basis. The attempt to lever in funds to the district council by accelerating growth is doomed to failure, the gap between infrastructure needed and provided becomes ever wider as more houses are constructed. That gap consists of traffic gridlock, inadequate school and medical provision and a degrading of the local environment.
Please use your last chance to comment based on the evidence that has been gathered, the background documents are crucial if hard to interpret.
CLLR IAN ALLEN
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats.