Lapse f memry r distrted fairy tale?
HINDSIGHT may indeed be a wnderful thing (Letters, January 31) but nly if viewed frm the perspective f an accurate accunt f the facts. Certainly nt the distrted fairy tale painted by Cllr Petts, distilled fr the benefit f her wn narrw party p
HINDSIGHT may indeed be a wnderful thing (Letters, January 31) but nly if viewed frm the perspective f an accurate accunt f the facts. Certainly nt the distrted fairy tale painted by Cllr Petts, distilled fr the benefit f her wn narrw party plitical ends.
At the peak f this Try aberratin, csts had escalated t the unbelievable sum f £14.5 millin. Despite the faint prmise f a £3 millin grant frm Cambridgeshire Hrizns, the end result wuld have required the cuncil spending all its reserves; selling ff every piece f land it wned and still be left with a mrtgage f £6 millin t pay ff the lender fr the mney that they wuld need t have raised.
The cuncil wuld have been transfrmed frm being debt-free t being debt-ridden and it wuld have been a fallacy t say that it wuld have cst nthing. The financial cst expended by the cuncil in undertaking the evaluatin was in excess f £100,000.
Thrughut the evaluatin prcess and prir t the decisin f abandning the scheme there was n speculative supprt cming frward frm develpers and it culd easily have left the cuncil with the entire site and n partner.
You may also want to watch:
Events have shwn that Mantle Estates are prepared t take a gamble n develping its future. It is fr the sharehlders f the develper t take the risk f the site ever bearing fruit, nt the residents f East Cambs.
Cllr Petts cnveniently frgets it was the Independent members f the cuncil, tgether with a member f her wn grup wh, in the prevailing ecnmic climate, realised what a financial millstne the scheme wuld be fr East Cambs District Cuncil and residents and in uniting with the Lib Dems, brught the Try delusin t an end.
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
Given that America is nw n the brink f recessin, large swathes f cmmercial prperty lie vacant and investrs are desperately trying t get ut f prperty funds, I believe the decisin taken at that pint in time t have been judicius.
Cllr Petts shuld stp believing in a pipe dream, and get her facts right. This is particularly evident in her respnse t the resident's letter where she culd nt even get the crrespndent's status crrect and shuld be magnanimus in aplgising t Mrs Gathercle fr the errr f assuming she was respnding t a man.
CLLR NEIL MORRISON
(Littleprt West Ward)