Keep Roswell Pits As Place Of Natural Beauty
AS a resident of Ely who uses Roswell Pits regularly for family walks, I am overjoyed by the SSI Status awarded to the area by Natural England. Their reasoning that this inland site is attractive to the Bittern, Egret, Harrier and other wildlife, makes pe
AS a resident of Ely who uses Roswell Pits regularly for family walks, I am overjoyed by the SSI Status awarded to the area by Natural England. Their reasoning that this inland site is attractive to the Bittern, Egret, Harrier and other wildlife, makes perfect sense. A SSI recognises the national importance of a site and protects it by asking the owner to submit plans and to work with qualified experts to limit the damage caused to flora and fauna of the area. I fail to see what the owner of the pit is so angry about.
I wait with keen interest to see whether East Cambs District Council enforce the replanting of mature trees and the removal of pipes, cables and concrete hard standing (work carried out unlawfully by the owner) of if they try to incorporate them into a hastily thought-out country park/marina. No moorings, no development, keep the natural beauty please.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 7 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 8 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside