Keep Roswell Pits As Place Of Natural Beauty
AS a resident of Ely who uses Roswell Pits regularly for family walks, I am overjoyed by the SSI Status awarded to the area by Natural England. Their reasoning that this inland site is attractive to the Bittern, Egret, Harrier and other wildlife, makes pe
AS a resident of Ely who uses Roswell Pits regularly for family walks, I am overjoyed by the SSI Status awarded to the area by Natural England. Their reasoning that this inland site is attractive to the Bittern, Egret, Harrier and other wildlife, makes perfect sense. A SSI recognises the national importance of a site and protects it by asking the owner to submit plans and to work with qualified experts to limit the damage caused to flora and fauna of the area. I fail to see what the owner of the pit is so angry about.
I wait with keen interest to see whether East Cambs District Council enforce the replanting of mature trees and the removal of pipes, cables and concrete hard standing (work carried out unlawfully by the owner) of if they try to incorporate them into a hastily thought-out country park/marina. No moorings, no development, keep the natural beauty please.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 10 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening