Jubilee Gardens Could Become A Trading Area
I WONDER if the people of Ely realise that ECDC intends to make the Jubilee Gardens a trading area, unless many of us raise objections. In 2001, the people of Ely fought long and hard to retain this area as open space rather than covered in housing. The J
I WONDER if the people of Ely realise that ECDC intends to make the Jubilee Gardens a trading area, unless many of us raise objections.
In 2001, the people of Ely fought long and hard to retain this area as open space rather than covered in housing. The Jubilee Gardens is one of Ely's gems, extending the green pathway from the cathedral to the river. It is much used by a multitude of people of all ages, to relax and enjoy the area.
As a supporter of the friends of Jubilee Gardens, we have watched the garden mature and develop into a major attraction for visitors to Ely who enjoy the many varied events held there and also the peace and beauty of the garden.
It appals me to think that street traders would be allowed to operate from within the gardens, bringing with them rubbish and cooking smells and destroying the peaceful atmosphere. There are several food outlets at both ends of the garden, there is no need for them within the garden itself.
National judges have awarded the Jubilee Gardens the coveted Green Flag award three times as they think so highly of it. This is the only Green Flag award in Cambridgeshire.
The people of Ely are justly proud of this garden and their involvement in it. Don't let it get spoilt.
- 1 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 2 Cinderella makes a comeback thanks to Players' Christmas pantomime
- 3 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 7 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 8 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 9 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 10 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic
Please write and voice your objections by May 12 to:
The head of environmental services and housing, East Cambs District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4PL.
MICHAEL AND WENDY POWELL