Jubilee Gardens Could Become A Trading Area
I WONDER if the people of Ely realise that ECDC intends to make the Jubilee Gardens a trading area, unless many of us raise objections. In 2001, the people of Ely fought long and hard to retain this area as open space rather than covered in housing. The J
I WONDER if the people of Ely realise that ECDC intends to make the Jubilee Gardens a trading area, unless many of us raise objections.
In 2001, the people of Ely fought long and hard to retain this area as open space rather than covered in housing. The Jubilee Gardens is one of Ely's gems, extending the green pathway from the cathedral to the river. It is much used by a multitude of people of all ages, to relax and enjoy the area.
As a supporter of the friends of Jubilee Gardens, we have watched the garden mature and develop into a major attraction for visitors to Ely who enjoy the many varied events held there and also the peace and beauty of the garden.
It appals me to think that street traders would be allowed to operate from within the gardens, bringing with them rubbish and cooking smells and destroying the peaceful atmosphere. There are several food outlets at both ends of the garden, there is no need for them within the garden itself.
You may also want to watch:
National judges have awarded the Jubilee Gardens the coveted Green Flag award three times as they think so highly of it. This is the only Green Flag award in Cambridgeshire.
The people of Ely are justly proud of this garden and their involvement in it. Don't let it get spoilt.
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
Please write and voice your objections by May 12 to:
The head of environmental services and housing, East Cambs District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4PL.
MICHAEL AND WENDY POWELL