It’s game, set ... splash! Wimbledon men’s final date move is great news for Aquafest
It would seem that the promoters of Wimbledon tennis this year have done the Ely Rotary Clubs quite an honour in moving their finals day away from the usual first Sunday of July.
It has given tennis fans the unusual advantage of attending this most important and pleasurable event, rather than sitting in front of a television!
However, that is not the only change this year, for it has been judged an advantage too to commence the raft races at 12.45pm and not at 2.30pm, which is the traditional time of race start.
This will leave the afternoon entirely free for the community to enjoy the acts and activities through the day – and there are many.
On Lavender Green, after the official opening by the Mayor of Ely at noon, there will be belly dancing at 12.15, music from Ely Rocking Ukuleles at 3.15pm, dance routines by 4th Dimension Dance at 2pm and 3.45pm, and – in line with the recent Britain’s Got Talent – the K9 dog display at 2.45pm.
You may also want to watch:
On Jubilee Gardens the mayor’s opening address will be at 12.30pm, then at 2pm and again at 3.45pm Jacen Unplugged, a music programme featuring the fabulous Harriet Maddox singing at her keyboard.
The Caverners Duo will be performing at 2.35pm and 4.25pm, and the Shani Dance with Elysian Belly Dance at 3.15pm.
- 1 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 2 Driver escapes injury after A14 lorry fire
- 3 Hauliers face Covid and Brexit HGV driver shortage
- 4 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 5 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 6 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 7 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 8 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 9 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 10 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
All in all, this promises to be one of the best Aquafest events to date.
Ely Rotary Club