It’s about much more than just bikes
City Cycle Centre CITY Cycle Centre can be found in Market Street in Ely and boasts that it is Ely s largest, family-run department store . The shop was opened in 1970 by Franz and Kathleen Zaschke and is run today by their two sons, Mark and Chris and K
City Cycle Centre
CITY Cycle Centre can be found in Market Street in Ely and boasts that it is "Ely's largest, family-run department store".
The shop was opened in 1970 by Franz and Kathleen Zaschke and is run today by their two sons, Mark and Chris and Kathleen's brother, David Canham.
It truly is an Aladdin's cave of surprises selling everything from curtain tracks to buttons.
Chris Zaschke explained: "We have five departments at City Cycle Centre, haberdashery, home improvements, models, cycles and toys.
The huge range of goods available doesn't really reflect our name these days; people are often very surprised at what we sell."
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 6 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 7 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 8 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
- 9 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 10 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
People looking for home improvements will find paints, wallpapers shelving, kitchen goods, screws and tools.
The haberdashery departments sells embroidery threads, material, ribbons dyes and a whole range of hobby craft items for card making, stamping and cross stitching.
"The toy section caters for babies and adults. With games like Monopoly, large jigsaws to Sylvan Family, Playmobil and farmyard toys, models and larger play equipment."
There is also a complete department dedicated to models with train sets, radio controlled cars and Warhammer models and many more items.
Last, but not least, is the huge selection of bikes and accessories.
There are children's bikes with stabilisers, mountain bikes, road bikes and mountain bikes, together with a vast array of frames, saddles, drinking bottles, cycling clothes and shoes.
"We also have a full workshop for bike repairs" Chris told the Ely Standard.
City Cycle Centre prides itself that throughout the store all its staff are highly experienced and can give customers well informed advice about the full range of products available. The Ely-based family has been running the business for 37 years and it is truly is a family affair and well worth a visit.