Inaccuracy in memories
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories. I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories.
I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were signalman Frank Bridges and fireman James Nightall. Guard clerk and driver Ben Gimbert lived to tell the tale.
I have a scrapbook full of memories of the Soham explosion, and books I have had since I was 14 years old and had started work.
To make matters worse, a friend rang up to say 'you have got the story wrong'. I then said I have just rung up the Ely Standard and spoke to some chap to say how could you get it so wrong.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 BBC camera crews hosted by Ely Business Park during Boat Race
- 2 Wildlife-loving boy, 9, saves six abandoned ducklings
- 3 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
- 4 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 5 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 6 Bodybuilding world champion raises £540 ahead of charity beauty pageant
- 7 'We plotted our downfall' admits boss after five-goal cup thriller
- 8 Artist's poignant painting in memory of HRH Prince Philip
- 9 Charity chief executive raises £646 by running 252 miles in 71 days
- 10 Letters: Bishop's prayer, bell salute, litter problems and search for family
Editor's Note: We accept that the information we published was wrong and would like to offer Mr Wilson an apology for any inconvenience this error has caused him.