Inaccuracy in memories
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories. I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories.
I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were signalman Frank Bridges and fireman James Nightall. Guard clerk and driver Ben Gimbert lived to tell the tale.
I have a scrapbook full of memories of the Soham explosion, and books I have had since I was 14 years old and had started work.
To make matters worse, a friend rang up to say 'you have got the story wrong'. I then said I have just rung up the Ely Standard and spoke to some chap to say how could you get it so wrong.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 2 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 6 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 7 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Editor's Note: We accept that the information we published was wrong and would like to offer Mr Wilson an apology for any inconvenience this error has caused him.