Inaccuracy in memories
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories. I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories.
I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were signalman Frank Bridges and fireman James Nightall. Guard clerk and driver Ben Gimbert lived to tell the tale.
I have a scrapbook full of memories of the Soham explosion, and books I have had since I was 14 years old and had started work.
To make matters worse, a friend rang up to say 'you have got the story wrong'. I then said I have just rung up the Ely Standard and spoke to some chap to say how could you get it so wrong.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
Editor's Note: We accept that the information we published was wrong and would like to offer Mr Wilson an apology for any inconvenience this error has caused him.