Inaccuracy in memories
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories. I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were
I HAVE just received my copy of the Soham edition of the Ely Standard and see my photograph has been published with a story about my railway memories.
I am very disappointed that you said driver Ben Gimbert was killed. The two people who were killed were signalman Frank Bridges and fireman James Nightall. Guard clerk and driver Ben Gimbert lived to tell the tale.
I have a scrapbook full of memories of the Soham explosion, and books I have had since I was 14 years old and had started work.
To make matters worse, a friend rang up to say 'you have got the story wrong'. I then said I have just rung up the Ely Standard and spoke to some chap to say how could you get it so wrong.
- 1 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 2 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 3 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 4 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 5 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 6 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 7 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 8 Vehicle fire caused heavy traffic on A14
- 9 County Day hopes to shine light on young farmers of Cambridgeshire
- 10 IN PICTURES: A Cambridgeshire showcase at the inaugural County Day
Editor's Note: We accept that the information we published was wrong and would like to offer Mr Wilson an apology for any inconvenience this error has caused him.