Illegal parkers just don’t care
I WAS pleased to see your article in last week s Ely Standard referring to the incompetent parking in Ely, especially the photograph showing illegal parking at the top of Forehill. Whilst we all have sympathy for genuinely disabled drivers who have to p
I WAS pleased to see your article in last week's Ely Standard referring to the incompetent parking in Ely, especially the photograph showing illegal parking at the top of Forehill.
Whilst we all have sympathy for genuinely disabled drivers who have to park close to shops for their daily needs, what about the fully able-bodied drivers (none of which sport a disabled badge) who continue to park at the top of Forehill at peak times in order to collect their clothes from the cleaners.
Almost without exception, every time I drive up the hill, there will be at least one car parked outside the cleaners causing me to have to drive on the wrong side of the road to get past, which is not exactly safe due to oncoming vehicles approaching from the right-hand side.
Do they think that double yellow lines do not apply to them if they are in a hurry?
You may also want to watch:
And do they not realise that while they are in the shop for 'just a few minutes' they are probably inconveniencing a few dozen drivers who have problems passing them; one can only assume these selfish people simply don't care?
Just when are the police going to do something about this infuriating and dangerous practice by those who are simply too lazy to park legally.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
Unfortunately, I am now too old for the job of traffic warden, or I would pounce on every one of these culprits; and issue them with a parking ticket.
MIKE GOODALL By email