Illegal parkers just don’t care
I WAS pleased to see your article in last week s Ely Standard referring to the incompetent parking in Ely, especially the photograph showing illegal parking at the top of Forehill. Whilst we all have sympathy for genuinely disabled drivers who have to p
I WAS pleased to see your article in last week's Ely Standard referring to the incompetent parking in Ely, especially the photograph showing illegal parking at the top of Forehill.
Whilst we all have sympathy for genuinely disabled drivers who have to park close to shops for their daily needs, what about the fully able-bodied drivers (none of which sport a disabled badge) who continue to park at the top of Forehill at peak times in order to collect their clothes from the cleaners.
Almost without exception, every time I drive up the hill, there will be at least one car parked outside the cleaners causing me to have to drive on the wrong side of the road to get past, which is not exactly safe due to oncoming vehicles approaching from the right-hand side.
Do they think that double yellow lines do not apply to them if they are in a hurry?
You may also want to watch:
And do they not realise that while they are in the shop for 'just a few minutes' they are probably inconveniencing a few dozen drivers who have problems passing them; one can only assume these selfish people simply don't care?
Just when are the police going to do something about this infuriating and dangerous practice by those who are simply too lazy to park legally.
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 3 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 4 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 5 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 6 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Boat club president inspires students days after race
- 9 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 10 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
Unfortunately, I am now too old for the job of traffic warden, or I would pounce on every one of these culprits; and issue them with a parking ticket.
MIKE GOODALL By email