I Strongly Oppose Change To Bus Route
I AM writing to express my strongest opposition to the proposal to discontinue bus route 10 (Cambridge-Burwell-Newmarket) after 6pm on weekdays and Saturdays and altogether on Sundays. From the documentation provided I can see no justification for removi
I AM writing to express my strongest opposition to the proposal to discontinue bus route 10 (Cambridge-Burwell-Newmarket) after 6pm on weekdays and Saturdays and altogether on Sundays.
From the documentation provided I can see no justification for removing these services and there is no evidence of what alternative provision has been considered.
At a time of high fuel prices removal of all these services is bound to hit families, young and older people particularly hard.
In my view, it also flies in the face of the free bus pass which East Cambridgeshire District Council and I support wholeheartedly.
I am an occasional user of the 6.30pm and 7pm Cambridge to Burwell buses targeted to cease running.
If I have an occasional meeting in London it is convenient for me to use the bus service into and out of Cambridge as parking can be very problematic at the Cambridge Railway Station.
- 1 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 2 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 3 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 6 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 7 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 8 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 9 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 10 Green bin collections suspended
I often catch the 5.15pm or 5.45pm King's Cross to Cambridge train and find linking in with the 10 bus service a good example of joined-up public transport.
Your proposed change means that I cannot consider using the bus to and from Burwell. This means that I will have to drive. From my use of these buses I do not recognise the validity of your usage figures. This is particularly the case during term time. I am certainly aware of at least one student studying at Long Road Sixth Form College who often finds the earliest bus they can get back in this direction is the 6.30pm. The proposed change will undoubtedly mean the parents having to find alternative transport to and from college - probably by car.
With tackling congestion in Cambridge supposedly a key concern I believe the county council's proposed action to be counter productive and I urge you to reconsider.
CLLR DAVID BROWN
East Cambridgeshire District Council