I Strongly Oppose Change To Bus Route
I AM writing to express my strongest opposition to the proposal to discontinue bus route 10 (Cambridge-Burwell-Newmarket) after 6pm on weekdays and Saturdays and altogether on Sundays. From the documentation provided I can see no justification for removi
I AM writing to express my strongest opposition to the proposal to discontinue bus route 10 (Cambridge-Burwell-Newmarket) after 6pm on weekdays and Saturdays and altogether on Sundays.
From the documentation provided I can see no justification for removing these services and there is no evidence of what alternative provision has been considered.
At a time of high fuel prices removal of all these services is bound to hit families, young and older people particularly hard.
In my view, it also flies in the face of the free bus pass which East Cambridgeshire District Council and I support wholeheartedly.
You may also want to watch:
I am an occasional user of the 6.30pm and 7pm Cambridge to Burwell buses targeted to cease running.
If I have an occasional meeting in London it is convenient for me to use the bus service into and out of Cambridge as parking can be very problematic at the Cambridge Railway Station.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
I often catch the 5.15pm or 5.45pm King's Cross to Cambridge train and find linking in with the 10 bus service a good example of joined-up public transport.
Your proposed change means that I cannot consider using the bus to and from Burwell. This means that I will have to drive. From my use of these buses I do not recognise the validity of your usage figures. This is particularly the case during term time. I am certainly aware of at least one student studying at Long Road Sixth Form College who often finds the earliest bus they can get back in this direction is the 6.30pm. The proposed change will undoubtedly mean the parents having to find alternative transport to and from college - probably by car.
With tackling congestion in Cambridge supposedly a key concern I believe the county council's proposed action to be counter productive and I urge you to reconsider.
CLLR DAVID BROWN
East Cambridgeshire District Council