I object to Cambs County Council’s proposed funding cut to Ely Soham Dial-a-Ride
- Credit: Archant
David Cameron talks a lot about the ‘Big Society’, encouraging local charities and institutions to become involved in helping and supporting their communities.
There can be few better examples of this than here in East Cambridgeshire, with the Ely Soham Dial-a-Ride service, providing affordable transport for nearly 700 vulnerable people, up to 160 of them from within my own Division of Littleport.
But now Cambridgeshire County Council is proposing to cut its funding.
Community transport provided by Dial-a-Ride exists to help transport those in our community that are isolated due to disability, frailty or because of the absence of any alternative affordable transport.
But there is also a social aspect, because many of these people would be isolated and confined to their homes were it not for the programme of regular outings and excursions that Dial-a-Ride arranges for them.
You may also want to watch:
I acknowledge that the council faces severe budgetary restraints and that grants need to be reviewed.
But the extent of the proposed cuts will put Dial-a-Ride at serious risk, contribute to the loss of community transport in East Cambridgeshire and threaten the jobs of more than 40 people employed by Dial-a-Ride.
- 1 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 2 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 3 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 4 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 5 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 6 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 7 Boris offers MP Lucy Frazer new role in reshuffle
- 8 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 9 Perfect end for captain Malvin after regional final glory
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
I will oppose these proposed grant reductions at the county council next Tuesday.
CLLR DANIEL DIVINE