How Strange To Liken Breast Feeding to Bowel Evacuation
WHAT a strange and rather distorted view of the world Ms Scuse has that she would liken breast-feeding to bowel evacuation (Letters, October 16. Breast-feeding provides the best food for a baby s first six months of life, and protects infants from certai
WHAT a strange and rather distorted view of the world Ms Scuse has that she would liken breast-feeding to bowel evacuation (Letters, October 16.
Breast-feeding provides the best food for a baby's first six months of life, and protects infants from certain infections and diseases. It is also beneficial for a woman's health later in life, offering protection from some cancers and osteoporosis.
Are we meant to return to the dark old days when new mothers were expected to stay at home, to avoid the shame of being seen - shock, horror - breast-feeding their child? Given that many newborns need to feed on average every two-three hours, breast-feeding women would quite literally never be able to leave their houses.
As someone who breast-fed their child for eight months, both at home and in public, and who has many friends who have done the same, I can confidently say that it can be done discreetly in even the most public of places. I'm pleased to say I never encountered any of the hostility such as that exhibited by Ms Scuse, and, in fact, congratulate the various cafes of Ely for their welcoming attitude towards new parents.
You may also want to watch:
Women should be supported and encourage to breast-feed because of all its benefits, not made to feel awkward or embarrassed. Ms Scuse asks for respect for other people - I suggest she considers offering the same to women who are trying to give their children the best start in life.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 10 ‘Distressed cries’ of beagles fuel animal research unit protest