How Strange To Liken Breast Feeding to Bowel Evacuation
WHAT a strange and rather distorted view of the world Ms Scuse has that she would liken breast-feeding to bowel evacuation (Letters, October 16. Breast-feeding provides the best food for a baby s first six months of life, and protects infants from certai
WHAT a strange and rather distorted view of the world Ms Scuse has that she would liken breast-feeding to bowel evacuation (Letters, October 16.
Breast-feeding provides the best food for a baby's first six months of life, and protects infants from certain infections and diseases. It is also beneficial for a woman's health later in life, offering protection from some cancers and osteoporosis.
Are we meant to return to the dark old days when new mothers were expected to stay at home, to avoid the shame of being seen - shock, horror - breast-feeding their child? Given that many newborns need to feed on average every two-three hours, breast-feeding women would quite literally never be able to leave their houses.
As someone who breast-fed their child for eight months, both at home and in public, and who has many friends who have done the same, I can confidently say that it can be done discreetly in even the most public of places. I'm pleased to say I never encountered any of the hostility such as that exhibited by Ms Scuse, and, in fact, congratulate the various cafes of Ely for their welcoming attitude towards new parents.
Women should be supported and encourage to breast-feed because of all its benefits, not made to feel awkward or embarrassed. Ms Scuse asks for respect for other people - I suggest she considers offering the same to women who are trying to give their children the best start in life.
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 5 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 10 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months