Horrified At Recycling and Rubbish Collection in East Cambs
I WAS gobsmacked to open my Ely Standard last week and see the headline Waste Plan Review Call. Since we moved into the East Cambs area 15 months ago we have been horrified at the poor level of collection service for rubbish and recycling in the area. T
I WAS gobsmacked to open my Ely Standard last week and see the headline Waste Plan Review Call.
Since we moved into the East Cambs area 15 months ago we have been
horrified at the poor level of collection service for rubbish and recycling in the area.
The figures speak for themselves, we moved from Fenland (16 per cent higher recycling than East Cambs) in your recycling fact file). When we lived there we were issued with three wheelie bins, one for garden and compostable waste, one for dry waste and another for general rubbish.
The bins were only emptied fortnightly but it was never an issue as the bins were large enough to hold the amount of rubbish accumulated over
this period, but also set a limit on rubbish that was taken as the
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
lid had to be shut or the bin men would refuse to take the bin.
Since we moved into East Cambridgeshire we are given one black
recycling box, a compostable bag and more recently a clear bag for
plastic bottles, they do take the carrier bags of glass, tins and
plastic, but have never emptied our black box, or replaced the brown
compostable bag when we have left one out, we just get one black bag
thrown somewhere in the vicinity of our house.
There is no limit on the amount of black bags they will take each
week, and as they never empty the black box we leave out we, very
regrettably have little option but to put the majority of our
compostable rubbish into black bags.
I have phoned Veolia several times and complained, they take my name
and address but nothing happens beyond this. I emailed the last
time the Ely Standard raised concerns over Veolia's performance, but there has been no change.
It's no good blaming householders, I am afraid the council's poor
percentage figures is no-one's fault but their own. They keep
mentioning Veolia's teething problems, I personally think it's more of
a nasty toothache that we need to get rid of.