HGVs should be banned from using Ely at certain times - that’ll solve the congestion problems!
WE are all suffering from the long-standing debate concerning the southern bypass for Ely. Are we using a sledge hammer to crack a nut?
I may have missed the ‘moment’ but there is one thought that I haven’t heard - and it will be many times cheaper!
How about banning all HGVs for certain hours of the day?
This idea would require an Act of Parliament to enforce it and then a few sign boards carefully placed giving notice of a total ban on all HGVs at the stated times (unless, of course, they are genuinely making deliveries or collections in the immediate Ely area).
Any vehicle breaking the ban would be subjected to massive instant ‘spot’ fines (say £2,000 a time) and such a scheme would require, ultimately, minimum policing.
The HGVs would then be forced into using roads such as the A14 - roads built for them!
This system is already in place in certain neighbouring countries (particularly France) and it works very well. The consequence would be an immediate easing of the traffic congestion.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 3 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 4 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 9 Army assault course brought back to former glory at Waterbeach Barracks
- 10 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
The only people who would be inconvenienced would be the transport companies who have, for decades, held other road users to ransom.
Advantages: massive monetary savings, no increased environmental pollution, no blocked views of the Cathedral and (above all) free-flowing traffic.
Can someone tell me why it wouldn’t work?