Green light for new hi-tech street lamps
I HAVE just read the most fabulous article in a magazine called Green Lights Get Green Light, where plans for a new a hi-tech street-lighting scheme have been put in place. The clever lamps boost road safety and save money, because they know exactly whe
I HAVE just read the most fabulous article in a magazine called Green Lights Get Green Light, where plans for a new a hi-tech street-lighting scheme have been put in place.
The clever lamps boost road safety and save money, because they know exactly when they're needed and when they can switch off. The smart posts outshine their 20th century predecessors with technology including sensors that detect traffic, they dim when there are no cars, but brighten as soon as vehicles approach. They can also sense the weather and make driving safer by shining more brightly when visibility is reduced, even during the day. Each light is connected by radio to a control room, where operators can monitor performance and spot any faults or possible defects, so repairs are made quickly. The first major trials involving 6,500 intelligent lights have been field in Oslo, Norway, and energy use was cut in half. The reduction also lowers maintenance costs, as the lamps last longer. The savings that are achieved will pay for the new system, with an overall return on investment expected in the next five years.
A European consortium is now developing them for use in the UK, which will be good news for England.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 9 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021