Green light for new hi-tech street lamps
I HAVE just read the most fabulous article in a magazine called Green Lights Get Green Light, where plans for a new a hi-tech street-lighting scheme have been put in place. The clever lamps boost road safety and save money, because they know exactly whe
I HAVE just read the most fabulous article in a magazine called Green Lights Get Green Light, where plans for a new a hi-tech street-lighting scheme have been put in place.
The clever lamps boost road safety and save money, because they know exactly when they're needed and when they can switch off. The smart posts outshine their 20th century predecessors with technology including sensors that detect traffic, they dim when there are no cars, but brighten as soon as vehicles approach. They can also sense the weather and make driving safer by shining more brightly when visibility is reduced, even during the day. Each light is connected by radio to a control room, where operators can monitor performance and spot any faults or possible defects, so repairs are made quickly. The first major trials involving 6,500 intelligent lights have been field in Oslo, Norway, and energy use was cut in half. The reduction also lowers maintenance costs, as the lamps last longer. The savings that are achieved will pay for the new system, with an overall return on investment expected in the next five years.
A European consortium is now developing them for use in the UK, which will be good news for England.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 2 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 3 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 4 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 5 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 10 'Savage' attack left man without spleen