Green Box Has Helped Our Son And We Want It To Stay
WE write with regard to the article in last week s Ely Standard regarding the possible closure of the Green Box Education provision at Witchford. Our son attends this school and it has helped him amazingly since he started there about 20 months ago. Be
WE write with regard to the article in last week's Ely Standard regarding the possible closure of the Green Box Education provision at Witchford. Our son attends this school and it has helped him amazingly since he started there about 20 months ago. Before attending there he was unable to attend mainstream schooling as he was the victim of mental bullying. This was so severe that it led to him not being able to attend school, threatening to kill himself before having a breakdown which required professional counselling and finally doctors writing to education welfare to say he was unfit to attend mainstream schooling. He would not even leave the house.
He was referred to the Green Box and told he would finish his education there and what a difference the teachers there have made to him. They have gradually built his confidence back up and he will now go outside with his mates, takes part in sport and with the help of the Green Box and Connect-Ed (an online learning provision) he is now studying to take four or five GCSE's next May something which would have been impossible to contemplate even a year ago. Unfortunately we have also received a letter 10 days ago telling us the Connect-Ed facility is being stopped as of January next year, which leaves us in a position of not knowing how our son is going to be able to finish studying or completing his GCSE's. He is devastated by this as he has worked so hard to get to the position he is at now.
This would not have been possible without the Green Box and its loss would be a huge blow to any other children in the local community who may need to have access to a provision like this as the only alternative is in Cambridge. As transport costs would have to be met to take the children there I fail to see how it will be cost effective.
MICHAEL & JULIE GODSMARK
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 7 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
- 8 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 9 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 10 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go