Great benefactor to native parish
I READ with interest the article on the William Hayes Fisher Skating Cup. William Hayes Fisher was born in Little Downham, the third child of 13 born to the Rev Frederick and Mary Fisher, curate in charge and rector of Downham 1850-1884. William was bapt
I READ with interest the article on the William Hayes Fisher Skating Cup. William Hayes Fisher was born in
Little Downham, the third child of 13 born to the Rev Frederick and Mary Fisher, curate in charge and rector of Downham 1850-1884. William was baptised on May 15, 1853, educated at Haileybury School, took up politics as a career, being MP for Fulham, and was Secretary of State to the Treasury.
He was also a director of the Suez Canal, rose and took the title Lord Downham. He was a great benefactor to the parish, placing and paying for stained glass in the church at the east end in memory of his father, who died in 1884.
In 1897 he paid for the rebuilding of the church porch, in 1912 the renovation of the south door.
You may also want to watch:
On the death of his sister Constance in 1912, William and his brother, the Rev Rob Fisher, paid for an extension to Pymoor Church and school, which was built by his father in 1865. He was also vice president of Downham's flower show. On his death in 1920 he left a sum of money to place a clock on the church tower. This was installed in 1922 by Smiths of Derby, who still to this day maintain and service the clock regularly.
ROGER S MARTIN
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
(Churchwarden and parish historian)
Beald Drove Farm