Give Us Options For A Supermarket In Ely
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I star
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.
I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I started shopping in Cambridgeshire was the dominance of Tesco stores. There is no choice whatsoever. If I want to go to Morrisons I have to do a 40-mile round trip. The same goes for Asda in Cambridge or I can do the 52-mile round trip and go to the store in Wisbech. The nearest Sainsbury's is a 30-mile round trip in March. Quite frankly, I am fed up with having no choice. I work full-time in a demanding job, have a family and home to keep and only shop at Tesco for convenience because I do not want to have the effort of travelling all over Cambridgeshire to do my food shopping. And, Tesco is not cheap! I recently made a trip to Morrisons in Cambourne and although I spent the same amount as I would have spent in Tesco, I got a lot more for my money and quality of fresh produce was of a higher standard.
It does make me wonder what goes on at East Cambridgeshire District Council's Planning Department and how much influence Tesco may have when it comes to local planning?
I would like to see an Asda or Morrison's in Ely, although Aldi and Lidl are more than welcome too. At least it will give tax payers the choice and options.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 3 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 4 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 5 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 6 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 7 Jail for violent man who kicked ex-girlfriend in the face
- 8 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 9 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 10 Ziggy is missing from Ely - your help is needed