Give Us Options For A Supermarket In Ely
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I star
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.
I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I started shopping in Cambridgeshire was the dominance of Tesco stores. There is no choice whatsoever. If I want to go to Morrisons I have to do a 40-mile round trip. The same goes for Asda in Cambridge or I can do the 52-mile round trip and go to the store in Wisbech. The nearest Sainsbury's is a 30-mile round trip in March. Quite frankly, I am fed up with having no choice. I work full-time in a demanding job, have a family and home to keep and only shop at Tesco for convenience because I do not want to have the effort of travelling all over Cambridgeshire to do my food shopping. And, Tesco is not cheap! I recently made a trip to Morrisons in Cambourne and although I spent the same amount as I would have spent in Tesco, I got a lot more for my money and quality of fresh produce was of a higher standard.
It does make me wonder what goes on at East Cambridgeshire District Council's Planning Department and how much influence Tesco may have when it comes to local planning?
I would like to see an Asda or Morrison's in Ely, although Aldi and Lidl are more than welcome too. At least it will give tax payers the choice and options.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 8 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 9 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust
- 10 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history