Give Us Options For A Supermarket In Ely
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I star
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.
I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I started shopping in Cambridgeshire was the dominance of Tesco stores. There is no choice whatsoever. If I want to go to Morrisons I have to do a 40-mile round trip. The same goes for Asda in Cambridge or I can do the 52-mile round trip and go to the store in Wisbech. The nearest Sainsbury's is a 30-mile round trip in March. Quite frankly, I am fed up with having no choice. I work full-time in a demanding job, have a family and home to keep and only shop at Tesco for convenience because I do not want to have the effort of travelling all over Cambridgeshire to do my food shopping. And, Tesco is not cheap! I recently made a trip to Morrisons in Cambourne and although I spent the same amount as I would have spent in Tesco, I got a lot more for my money and quality of fresh produce was of a higher standard.
It does make me wonder what goes on at East Cambridgeshire District Council's Planning Department and how much influence Tesco may have when it comes to local planning?
I would like to see an Asda or Morrison's in Ely, although Aldi and Lidl are more than welcome too. At least it will give tax payers the choice and options.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 4 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 10 Open air theatre is back in Ely this weekend