Give Us Options For A Supermarket In Ely
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I star
I AM responding to your article on the front page of the Ely Standard on November 20 in relation to supermarkets in Ely.
I moved from Ipswich in Suffolk just over a year ago to be with my partner who lives in Sutton. What struck me immediately when I started shopping in Cambridgeshire was the dominance of Tesco stores. There is no choice whatsoever. If I want to go to Morrisons I have to do a 40-mile round trip. The same goes for Asda in Cambridge or I can do the 52-mile round trip and go to the store in Wisbech. The nearest Sainsbury's is a 30-mile round trip in March. Quite frankly, I am fed up with having no choice. I work full-time in a demanding job, have a family and home to keep and only shop at Tesco for convenience because I do not want to have the effort of travelling all over Cambridgeshire to do my food shopping. And, Tesco is not cheap! I recently made a trip to Morrisons in Cambourne and although I spent the same amount as I would have spent in Tesco, I got a lot more for my money and quality of fresh produce was of a higher standard.
It does make me wonder what goes on at East Cambridgeshire District Council's Planning Department and how much influence Tesco may have when it comes to local planning?
I would like to see an Asda or Morrison's in Ely, although Aldi and Lidl are more than welcome too. At least it will give tax payers the choice and options.
- 1 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 2 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 3 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 6 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 7 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 8 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 9 'She will be sorely missed' - Rev Teresa retires
- 10 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards