Get out there
WE should all be delighted that our MP Jim Paice has offered to act as an honest broker in the Roswell Pits controversy. His willingness to take up local issues is one of the reasons he is elected with huge majorities and I am sure, if he were a Liberal
WE should all be delighted that our MP Jim Paice has offered to act as an "honest broker" in the Roswell Pits controversy.
His willingness to take up local issues is one of the reasons he is elected with huge majorities and I am sure, if he were a Liberal Democrat MP, his intervention would be more appreciated in some quarters.
Over the past 30 years, I have walked, fished, sailed, swum, moored a cabin cruiser and even skated there.
Unfortunately, I have never seen a bittern or an otter, but I have seen coypu, water voles and mink which seriously damage the water environment.
On the other hand, I seldom, see many humans, especially in the winter.
I hope our new wave of nature-loving visitors take advantage of the bounty the area offers.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
At this time of year, observant walkers can find: blackberries, sloes, cob nuts, walnuts and a variety of apples, plums and mushrooms. There is also a damson tree. So there we are. A super bountiful area and an environment for all residents. Stop carping and get out there and enjoy the pits and their bounty, and remember, there are three pits.