Get A Hat and Get Ahead...or Something Like That
I AM feeling quite pleased with myself this week as I have finally managed to run two miles without stopping! I am going to run at this distance for another week and then extend it by half a mile next Tuesday when Helen is back from her holiday and is her
I AM feeling quite pleased with myself this week as I have finally managed to run two miles without stopping! I am going to run at this distance for another week and then extend it by half a mile next Tuesday when Helen is back from her holiday and is here to motivate me. I spoke to Sarah Fairhurst (Liam's mum) last week and she is in training for the London Marathon next year to raise funds for Clic Sargent. I really take my hat off to Sarah and anyone who even contemplates running 26 miles. I just can't imagine being able to do that at this moment in time. It really does take all my mental energy to persuade myself to keep going for two miles. I have to say that physically I seem to be coping okay, no strains or injuries, but my legs ache for days afterwards. My middle son Aaron told me that I should shower afterwards and not bathe as this is what modern sports science now advocates and apparently footballers have turned their back on the bath in favour of the shower as it lessens the aches and pains. So there you are.
TALKING of taking my hat off, or rather putting my hat on, I went on a mission on Sunday to look at wedding outfits. Most women I know say they can't wear hats and I think I fall into that category but I have seen an absolutely gorgeous hat with a feather and a ridiculous price tag and have decided to plan my outfit around the hat. I was on my own so I didn't buy anything as I want a second opinion from someone I trust. I need a true friend who will have the guts to say 'you really don't suit a hat', if, indeed that is the case. I think I have my reading sorted out now and we have received our invitations and are down to the nitty gritty of choosing food and booking hotels so it is all getting rather exciting.
LOTS going on in the next few weeks in and around Ely. There's the Sue Ryder Bike Ride on Sunday and lots of summer fairs and fetes coming up. I will try to get to as many events as possible this summer. Please let the Ely Standard know if you have an event planned, however small, and we will aim to feature it in our listings guide.
Thought of the Week
You may also want to watch:
"A lifetime of training for just 10 seconds," Jesse Owens.
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 3 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 4 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 5 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 6 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 7 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 9 Boat club president inspires students days after race
- 10 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week