ON behalf of the Rotary Club of Ely, I would like to thank the people of Ely, for their generosity in giving to our Christmas street collection this year. Thanks to them, we have raised a record sum of more than £6,000. Many people wonder how the money
ON behalf of the Rotary Club of Ely, I would like to thank the people of Ely, for their generosity in giving to our Christmas street collection this year.
Thanks to them, we have raised a record sum of more than £6,000.
Many people wonder how the money is used. It is donated to local charities and in the past year, 26 have been helped, including MAGPAS 1st Responder Unit, Highfield School, Sue Ryder Care, the City of Ely Community College, senior citizens minibus, Ely Roller Skating Club, Centre 33, Bizzy Kids, Ely Guides and Witchford Scouts.
Money has also been donated to charities from which local people benefit such as the Arthur Rank Hospice, East Anglian Children's Hospice and the Huntingdon Centre for Multiple Sclerosis. The Rotary Club welcomes applications from charities and good causes, all of which will be considered.
We would also like to thank those who helped us collect, sometimes in very unpleasant conditions; these were members of the Hereward Rotary Club of Ely, Isle of Ely Lions and Leos, and Ladies of the Inner Wheel Club of Ely.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Father accused of baby's murder claimed she had hit her head in car
President, The Rotary Club of Ely