Gallery fulfils vital rle in cmmunity
I WAS very disappinted t read abut the prpsed clsure f the Babyln Gallery (Ely Standard, last week). This, f curse, has t be a direct result f the district cuncil axing 40 per cent f ADeC s funding withut any warning. Yu will remember that
I WAS very disappinted t read abut the prpsed clsure f the Babyln Gallery (Ely Standard, last week).
This, f curse, has t be a direct result f the district cuncil axing 40 per cent f ADeC's funding withut any warning. Yu will remember that they had prmised t fund it fr a further three years and then changed their minds.
As an art teacher fr 40 years in bth Cambridge and Ely schls, I knw just hw imprtant the Babyln Gallery has been in helping yung peple t appreciate art. Frm the many wrkshps they have run in the gallery, ften linked t the current exhibitin, t the pprtunities they have given children t display their wrk, ADeC has helped put Ely n the map as a centre fr the Arts.
I understand the Babyln Gallery is nw the secnd mst visited attractin in Ely after the cathedral, attracting 25,000 visitrs last year.
You may also want to watch:
This centre fr excellence has brught numerus advantages t the city. Many f the small art and craft shps and galleries which have sprung up in the last few years are a direct result f the Babyln influence and f curse, that has a knck-n effect t all the ther retailers and fd utlets.
I appreciate the District Cuncil is trying t save mney, but surely clsing dwn ne f its majr turist attractins is nt the way?
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
What's the pint f building mre and mre huses if yu are prviding less and less fr peple t d?
Hw can we have faith in ur Try masters' wrking ut a plan fr Ely's future, if they are making such ill judged decisins abut the present?
I very much hpe cmmn sense can prevail. The cuncil shuld ffer t fund the Babyln Gallery (I understand there is still tw years t run n the lease) until ADeC is able t mve int The Maltings, t turn it int a vibrant arts centre which culd include an art gallery amng its many facilities.
I have just walked alng the riverside n a beautiful February Sunday afternn and it is psitively heaving with peple. With the prpsal that bth the Maltings and Babyln Gallery will be clsed this summer, I am wndering if the Mayr and his Try clleagues have alternative plans in place fr what peple might d?
Visitrs will nt return if there is nthing ging n. We came t live here a year ag because we were pleasantly surprised at hw Ely had develped in the last 10 years, s please let's nt g back t the dark ages.