Gallery fulfils vital rle in cmmunity
I WAS very disappinted t read abut the prpsed clsure f the Babyln Gallery (Ely Standard, last week). This, f curse, has t be a direct result f the district cuncil axing 40 per cent f ADeC s funding withut any warning. Yu will remember that
I WAS very disappinted t read abut the prpsed clsure f the Babyln Gallery (Ely Standard, last week).
This, f curse, has t be a direct result f the district cuncil axing 40 per cent f ADeC's funding withut any warning. Yu will remember that they had prmised t fund it fr a further three years and then changed their minds.
As an art teacher fr 40 years in bth Cambridge and Ely schls, I knw just hw imprtant the Babyln Gallery has been in helping yung peple t appreciate art. Frm the many wrkshps they have run in the gallery, ften linked t the current exhibitin, t the pprtunities they have given children t display their wrk, ADeC has helped put Ely n the map as a centre fr the Arts.
I understand the Babyln Gallery is nw the secnd mst visited attractin in Ely after the cathedral, attracting 25,000 visitrs last year.
This centre fr excellence has brught numerus advantages t the city. Many f the small art and craft shps and galleries which have sprung up in the last few years are a direct result f the Babyln influence and f curse, that has a knck-n effect t all the ther retailers and fd utlets.
I appreciate the District Cuncil is trying t save mney, but surely clsing dwn ne f its majr turist attractins is nt the way?
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
What's the pint f building mre and mre huses if yu are prviding less and less fr peple t d?
Hw can we have faith in ur Try masters' wrking ut a plan fr Ely's future, if they are making such ill judged decisins abut the present?
I very much hpe cmmn sense can prevail. The cuncil shuld ffer t fund the Babyln Gallery (I understand there is still tw years t run n the lease) until ADeC is able t mve int The Maltings, t turn it int a vibrant arts centre which culd include an art gallery amng its many facilities.
I have just walked alng the riverside n a beautiful February Sunday afternn and it is psitively heaving with peple. With the prpsal that bth the Maltings and Babyln Gallery will be clsed this summer, I am wndering if the Mayr and his Try clleagues have alternative plans in place fr what peple might d?
Visitrs will nt return if there is nthing ging n. We came t live here a year ag because we were pleasantly surprised at hw Ely had develped in the last 10 years, s please let's nt g back t the dark ages.