Free parking is an attraction Ely should be boasting about
WHY is East Cambridgeshire District Council proposing to end one of the most important assets Ely possesses by introducing parking charges?
Free parking is one of the main attractions of which Ely can boast over most, if not all, the surrounding towns and cities. More should be advertising it.
Many arguments have already been put forward for and against these proposals.
Most recently, we have heard that charges “will be enforced on Sundays, because Sunday is not different to any other day”. I would argue that for many people it is.
Whether for worship, shopping or enjoying leisure amenities – Sunday is the day for one or all of these, for families or groups of friends.
You may also want to watch:
Another point was that “those using the service would be paying for it”. Well, pity the motorist! We all pay for services which, at some point, we do not use. Car drivers are already heavily penalised by the cost of petrol.
Further, it was suggested that shops could recompense part or all of these charges. A joke, I hope, or a suggestion which could be expanded to include offices, pubs, clubs or any business that people come into Ely for.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 8 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 9 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 10 Care home still 'requires improvement'
Then maybe the council would find a way to defray the costs of businesses that defray the costs of parking charges. What joy that would make a VAT return.
More effort should be put into making free parking a positive for Ely.