Foreign workers a qualified benefit
I READ with interest a letter published in the Ely Standard on September 14 entitled: Force Shirkers Out. You might like to note that the migrant workers from the EU are entitled to Family Tax Credits and Child Benefit payments even though the family/chil
I READ with interest a letter published in the Ely Standard on September 14 entitled: Force Shirkers Out. You might like to note that the migrant workers from the EU are entitled to Family Tax Credits and Child Benefit payments even though the family/children are not resident in this country.
I do not doubt that the majority are hard working, but our unemployment numbers are increasing alarmingly within the indigenous population and it will get worse. I know of one transport company who have 70 lorries and employ only European drivers. They pool their wages and once a month one of their number returns to Europe with the cash and hands it out to the respective families.
Nothing wrong in that perhaps, but it is money that is going out of the country. These drivers are paid the lowest rates and no doubt work hard but, unlike British drivers, do not pass the same rigorous driving tests.
There is also the added burden upon the NHS, doctors, housing etc.
Ely, for instance, for the first time, has an extremely long waiting list for council housing.
So, before people talk of the skills foreign workers bring to these shores, ensure these plumbers, for example, have the necessary certificates, NVQs and the like to verify their worth as do their British counterparts.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 4 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 5 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 6 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 7 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 8 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 9 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 10 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia