Facts About Car Park Charging Are Worth Repeating
CAR parking in Ely has always been a contentious issue and I expect many people are concerned about what may happen. Let me start with some of the facts, which are well known but still worth repeating. All local authorities throughout the country are fa
CAR parking in Ely has always been a contentious issue and I expect many people are concerned about what may happen.
Let me start with some of the facts, which are well known but still worth repeating. All local authorities throughout the country are faced with very difficult challenges as they are hit by the need to make ever greater efficiency savings, but with pitiful government support. The vast majority, and I include East Cambridgeshire in this, have been extremely careful with their money - the global recession has created real problems for us all.
We therefore have to work harder and smarter to deliver the essential services which our residents expect from us. We have to look at all options available to us - nothing and I mean nothing is off the agenda.
I note last week a letter from the Ely Traders Association. As a business man, I know only to well the pressures that local shops are facing. However, I do not believe car parking charges will destroy our city centres, but having not enough car park capacity will. That is why we are reviewing the car park arrangements to see what will best suit and benefit all our residents throughout the whole of the district. We will be looking at creating the best environment possible for Ely to prosper and survive through this review and the Masterplan
You may also want to watch:
If, and I say, if, we bring in charges, and contrary to the view of Cllr Allen, we will make sure the whole of the district benefits from the income. Money could potentially fund the projects and services that will help to change and transform lives. Whlist Cllr Allen believes there is a case for charging, what is disappointing is that a member who has contributed a huge amount to the Country Park proposals now sees a project which would improve all our lives, as a waste of time.
- 1 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 2 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 3 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 4 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 5 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 6 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 7 Boris offers MP Lucy Frazer new role in reshuffle
- 8 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 9 Perfect end for captain Malvin after regional final glory
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled