Facts About Car Park Charging Are Worth Repeating
CAR parking in Ely has always been a contentious issue and I expect many people are concerned about what may happen. Let me start with some of the facts, which are well known but still worth repeating. All local authorities throughout the country are fa
CAR parking in Ely has always been a contentious issue and I expect many people are concerned about what may happen.
Let me start with some of the facts, which are well known but still worth repeating. All local authorities throughout the country are faced with very difficult challenges as they are hit by the need to make ever greater efficiency savings, but with pitiful government support. The vast majority, and I include East Cambridgeshire in this, have been extremely careful with their money - the global recession has created real problems for us all.
We therefore have to work harder and smarter to deliver the essential services which our residents expect from us. We have to look at all options available to us - nothing and I mean nothing is off the agenda.
I note last week a letter from the Ely Traders Association. As a business man, I know only to well the pressures that local shops are facing. However, I do not believe car parking charges will destroy our city centres, but having not enough car park capacity will. That is why we are reviewing the car park arrangements to see what will best suit and benefit all our residents throughout the whole of the district. We will be looking at creating the best environment possible for Ely to prosper and survive through this review and the Masterplan
If, and I say, if, we bring in charges, and contrary to the view of Cllr Allen, we will make sure the whole of the district benefits from the income. Money could potentially fund the projects and services that will help to change and transform lives. Whlist Cllr Allen believes there is a case for charging, what is disappointing is that a member who has contributed a huge amount to the Country Park proposals now sees a project which would improve all our lives, as a waste of time.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told