FACT FILE THE word orang-utan means person of the forest in Mayla and the creatures are Asia s only great ape. THEY are the world s largest arboreal (tree dwelling) animal and are largely frugivorous (fruit-eating) although they will feed on flowers, t
THE word orang-utan means 'person of the forest' in Mayla and the creatures are Asia's only great ape.
THEY are the world's largest arboreal (tree dwelling) animal and are largely frugivorous (fruit-eating) although they will feed on flowers, tree bark, leaves and also insects.
ORANG-UTANS are vital to the rainforest ecosystem and play a crucial role in dispersing seeds and preserving the vegetation.
ON average, females do not become sexually mature until the age of 15, only reproduce once every seven years; producing no more than three offspring during a lifetime and mothers remain with their offspring until they are six or seven years old.
ORANGU-TANS are the most intelligent beings to have evolved on land and display unique and colourful personalities.
- 1 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 2 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 3 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 6 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 7 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 8 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 9 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 10 Green bin collections suspended
THE rainforest habitat that the orangu-tan relies on has declined by 80 per cent in the last 20 years.
THE rain forest plays an important part in the local and global climate. The rain forest acts as a significant buffer against climate change and some experts believe the carbon it stores will be emitted once the trees are cut down and this could have devastating effects on the planet.
THERE could be soil loss and land slides due to the effects of forest loss on water flow and streams.
THE rain forest provides a vast range of foods, medicines, fibres, oils, dyes and gums all of which help to support the local economy.
THE Orang-utan Foundation UK was set up in 1990.
ORANGUTANS sleep in nests.
Orang-utans arms are twice as long as its legs.
THE orang-utan is the world's most intelligent animal with a higher learning and problem solving ability than the chimpanzee. Studies have revealed that in bad weather they will make rain hats and roofs for their nests from leaves.