Ely Needs More Than One Supermarket
DOES anyone else find it strange that over the years various supermarkets have tried to get a site in our lovely city only to be thwarted by the council? The excuses have been varied but the outcome has always been the same. I seem to remember that Sains
DOES anyone else find it strange that over the years various supermarkets have tried to get a site in our lovely city only to be thwarted by the council? The excuses have been varied but the outcome has always been the same.
I seem to remember that Sainsbury's was, some time ago trying to get a store in Ely. Council members can't complain that it would 'lower the tone of the place' as has been cited about some other bidders. What's so wrong about buying cheaper food is my cry. How many people do you know who are now travelling to Newmarket to shop? I know several.
A city the size of Ely shouldn't only have one large supermarket (plus one small lovely Waitrose). It just isn't fair that Tesco has such a hold over us. Not that I'm complaining about Tesco, I love it. I just feel that it needs some competition. Sometimes I feel that they struggle just to keep the shelves stocked with the volume of people coming in
Come on Conservatives, prove you are here to enrich the city and let in some other supermarkets.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 2 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 3 Dispersal order to tackle aggressive begging, street drinking and thefts
- 4 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 5 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 6 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Boat club president inspires students days after race
- 9 Freemasons make cash donation to support hospital cancer patients
- 10 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line