Ely Needs More Than One Supermarket
DOES anyone else find it strange that over the years various supermarkets have tried to get a site in our lovely city only to be thwarted by the council? The excuses have been varied but the outcome has always been the same. I seem to remember that Sains
DOES anyone else find it strange that over the years various supermarkets have tried to get a site in our lovely city only to be thwarted by the council? The excuses have been varied but the outcome has always been the same.
I seem to remember that Sainsbury's was, some time ago trying to get a store in Ely. Council members can't complain that it would 'lower the tone of the place' as has been cited about some other bidders. What's so wrong about buying cheaper food is my cry. How many people do you know who are now travelling to Newmarket to shop? I know several.
A city the size of Ely shouldn't only have one large supermarket (plus one small lovely Waitrose). It just isn't fair that Tesco has such a hold over us. Not that I'm complaining about Tesco, I love it. I just feel that it needs some competition. Sometimes I feel that they struggle just to keep the shelves stocked with the volume of people coming in
Come on Conservatives, prove you are here to enrich the city and let in some other supermarkets.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs