Ely is unique and the people are friendly
FURTHER to Debbie Davies editorial, I would like to add my support to her comments regarding the local shops in Ely, and their individuality. I moved from London three years ago and, on arrival, was struck by the many shops in Ely, each having a unique n
FURTHER to Debbie Davies' editorial, I would like to add my support to her comments regarding the local shops in Ely, and their individuality.
I moved from London three years ago and, on arrival, was struck by the many shops in Ely, each having a unique nature. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the local people, and the friendly and helpful attitude of staff in the shops. Having experienced the 'benefits' of being able to visit many of the major stores in places such as Oxford Street in London, I cannot tell you how much more pleasant it is being able to shop in Ely where you don't even have to force your way through a sea of people just to get inside a store, or even just to cross the road!
There are always shops which have an appeal for certain individuals but I would rather Ely remain much as it is than have the dubious pleasure and convenience of more major supermarkets and department stores and I sincerely hope nobody is given permission to build a shopping mall within the town, or Ely will just end up as yet another clone of every other town centre, thereby losing its unique essence.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 8 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 10 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go