Ely Flower Club celebrates 40th anniversary with an evening of fun, flowers and food
AN evening of fun, flowers and food was enjoyed by more than 100 people who turned out to celebrate the 40th anniversary of The City of Ely Flower Club.
Chairman Grace Bent had baked and decorated a birthday cake, which was enjoyed as part of the buffet in the style of an English tea party. Grace also welcomed everyone to the party at Needham’s Hall in Ely College, including past and present members, and guests.
A flower demonstration was given by national demonstrator Nick Grounds. As well as arranging wonderful flowers, he once again entertained the audience with his hilarious stories and banter throughout the evening.
A booklet charting the club’s history from 1972-2012 was produced and distributed to everyone. This brought back many memories for a lot of people.
The chairman would like to thank the committee and members for all their hard work in preparing the room for the tea party and providing the superb buffet.
You may also want to watch:
Two raffles were held, one for the flower arrangements created by Nick Grounds and a special one for Magpas, which raised �244.40 in memory of the club’s late treasurer, Mrs Gill Read.
The next club meeting will be held on Thursday June 14 at Needham’s Hall at 7.15pm. This will be the club’s show, with members bringing along their own flower arrangements for the annual competition. Entrance fee: Visitors �5.00, Members �2.00. (includes tea/coffee & biscuits).
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 6 Man named following fatal collision
- 7 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 8 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 9 Skipper eyes plans to go one better for village cricketers
- 10 Green light for off-licence despite objections