Ely DOES need a bypass - the sooner the better!
IN response to F Dougherty’s letter on August 15, saying that Ely doesn’t need a bypass.
Last Thursday I was stuck in traffic in Station Road waiting to turn right into Angel Drove. Vehicles had blocked the roundabout.
After about 10 minutes I managed to get into Angel Drove, where there were HGVs and cars queued past the Tesco roundabout and as far as the A10 roundabout.
This happens several times a day as Ely station is a hub for trains to London, Norwich and Peterborough which means the crossing is closed for more than 20 minutes every hour.
Then of course there are the occasions when a vehicle bashes the bridge.
Bypass? Yes please. The sooner the better!
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 3 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 4 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 7 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 8 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 9 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 10 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670