East Cambs would benefit from independent district councillors who think for themselves
Congratulations to recently-elected Conservative Councillor Hamish Ross, of Soham, on becoming East Cambridgeshire District Council’s ‘service delivery champion, markets and town centres’.
I don’t know what the grand title of this undoubtedly grand job means, but I wish Conservative Cllr Ross well with it.
I see that Conservative Cllr Ross lists 10 reasons why tourists ‘flock’ to East Cambridgeshire (January 15) and that at the top of the list is ‘free car parking.’
As one of those who opposed parking charges being brought in, I agree with Conservative Councillor Ross.
But parking charges were championed by former Conservative council leader Peter Moakes and they were loyally supported by most – though not all – of the Conservative Party-liners.
You may also want to watch:
I said at the time that Cllr Moakes wasn’t a real Conservative for he also supported Liberal Democrat causes like the so-called Wicken Vision and I was pleased when the Conservatives ditched Cllr Moakes as their leader, replacing him with the much more effective Councillor James Palmer, also of Soham.
All of the above suggests to me that Conservatives are not always Conservative, that Conservatives sometimes get things very wrong, and that Conservative-led East Cambridgeshire would continue to benefit from a leavening of independent district councillors who think for themselves and don’t toe any party line.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 3 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 4 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 5 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 6 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 7 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 8 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 9 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 10 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
St Andrew’s Park