Don’t lose church hall
THE actions of these religious do-gooders regarding the sale of Soham Church Hall is disgusting. Not only do they want to sell it, after some of the readers grandparents helped to pay for it back in 1927 (probably thinking that it would be there for thei
THE actions of these religious do-gooders regarding the sale of Soham Church Hall is disgusting. Not only do they want to sell it, after some of the readers' grandparents helped to pay for it back in 1927 (probably thinking that it would be there for their grandchildren) but the parish church seems to be moving the goalposts.
Firstly, it was £350,000, now after a few interested enquiries they are asking for amounts of £500,000.
Is this our local community church we are talking about here or some hard-nosed businessman from the Dragon's Den?
The three people representing the church at last Thursday's meeting were adamant it should be sold to developers and could not even give a reason as to why they won't wait for local people to raise money through lottery funding.
Well, maybe the next time you are in church you might like to think twice when they come round rattling the plate and ignore their requests. I am not surprised attendance at all churches is dropping if this is the way they treat local parishioners.
The thought of putting a housing estate in the middle of the town is ridiculous. This area would be gone forever, we must think of the future.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
Let's not make a mistake with Soham as Ely has with building on the car park at the bottom of Fore Hill and now only a few short years later is screaming out for parking places. When this place is gone it will be gone forever.
You would not expect a housing estate to be built on Ely Market Square and this is just as stupid.
Why can't the church work together with the locals and council and help each other?
I would ask traders and local people to make a fuss and object to this plan. Your grandparents built it for you and don't let it be taken away.