Don’t let facts get in the way’
FROM Cllr Bell s mocking letter last week, I presume we can take it as read that he s sticking to the Liberal Democrat published guidelines on winning elections? If I recall correctly the advice coming down from Lib Dem HQ commands the party faithful to
FROM Cllr Bell's mocking letter last week, I presume we can take it as read that he's sticking to the Liberal Democrat published guidelines on winning elections? If I recall correctly the advice coming down from Lib Dem HQ commands the party faithful to be "wicked, act shamelessly, and stir endlessly". Nothing about public service though.
Dreaming up the absurd notion of a Conservative/church conspiracy to tarmac over the cathedral meadow and turn it into an enormous car park is truly classic Lib Dem calumny - a commendation from Menzies must most certainly be in the post for Cllr Bell. It's better even than the sabotaging of advanced plans to move council premises with the flashy new offices and save The Grange election campaign.
No Liberal Democrat worth his salt is ever going to let the facts get in the way of a good headline that's for sure.
Look at the car parking solutions and other advantages (requiring no increase in Council Tax) that Ely was deprived of by the Liberal Democrat save The Grange debacle last year:
# 300 space long-term car park and ride.
# £150,000 from Tesco towards car park lay-out.
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 3 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 6 Magpas Air Ambulance doctor, Anne, shortlisted for national award
- 7 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 8 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 9 Arts centre gets £25,000 post-Covid lifeline
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
# 1000 new jobs on an 18-acre business development site.
# £5.4 million from the sale of a spare 18 acres at Angel Drove.
# £3 million from a Government grant.
# £1.5 million from the sale of The Grange site, releasing valuable land for much needed, city centre retail development.
# £2.1 million from the sale of land in Willow Walk and Parade Lane.
# The increasing asset of a 3.5-acre site accommodating council offices and services all in one place, worth £7.5 million.
# Continuing revenue benefits of £340,000 per annum for other council projects and services
All this is what Ely lost thanks to Liberal Democrat election skull duggery last year - and now Cllr Bell has come up with another phoney cause célèbre. It really is déjà vu all over again!
Until we get a District Council with a majority of members prepared to look further forward than the next press release I cannot see much point in there being such an authority at all.
Meanwhile, it might be polite to take a rational look at what the Cathedral is offering the town. It is, I have been told, a plot of land enclosed on three sides by the Deanery (Circa 1963) and the long and short stay car parks. Fingers crossed that there are at least some District Councillors who promulgate accurate information!