Don’t forget multi-storey opportunity
OVER the past weeks or even months, there has been so much discussion about parking in Ely. Please listen to just one more suggestion. The old Westmill Foods site in Angel Drove, now empty for two years and becoming more neglected week-by-week, could be u
OVER the past weeks or even months, there has been so much discussion about parking in Ely. Please listen to just one more suggestion.
The old Westmill Foods site in Angel Drove, now empty for two years and becoming more neglected week-by-week, could be used to build a multi-storey car park.
It need be no higher than the one in Newmarket so it would not impinge upon the skyline. Run a free shuttle bus, charge absorbed in the parking fee, to the railway station, Market Street and Tesco. Charge for parking by the day, half day or hourly/two-hourly periods. Shoppers in the High Street area could have three free return trips to the car park in a specific time period, allowing them to transport shopping back to their vehicle and then return to the High Street to carry on browsing, shopping or enjoying the tourist sites or the eating places. This way, train users and shoppers (and shop-keepers) would be kept happy and the cathedral precincts would remain just that.
Maybe the council could deliberate upon this suggestion.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 4 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 10 Open air theatre is back in Ely this weekend