Don’t be scared of free-thinkers’
AFTER reading the letters page of the Ely Standard last week in which it was implied that Independent candidates in next month s elections, who also happen to be members of the Ely Traders Association, were only standing on one issue, would not be respons
AFTER reading the letters page of the Ely Standard last week in which it was implied that Independent candidates in next month's elections, who also happen to be members of the Ely Traders Association, were only standing on one issue, would not be responsible and should think again.
I now write to correct this misconception, which is obviously being peddled by worried political party hacks who do not want free-thinkers in their midst - only those will toe the party line.
As an independent candidate for Ely East, I live and work here. Sitting as chairman of The Ely Perspective Riverside Group, being a trustee of the Ely and District Volunteer Bureau, as well as a volunteer driver, has given me a good insight of the local and district needs. This insight has been rounded off with membership of the Cambridgeshire Chamber of Commerce and Industry and ETA placing me in a good position to know nothing could be further from the truth than describing ETA or members as "one issue" wonders.
The ETA is made up of employees, customers, owners and members of the public who are interested in the city of Ely and East Cambs in general. Monthly meetings are held, with guest speakers invited such as the police, East Cambs District Council is regularly in attendance to act on, where possible, suggestions and concerns raised for the good of all.
So, as you can see, this does not reflect a one cause association with blinkered members, just one that has listened and helped to champion an issue that is of importance to us all. 11,000 signatures would seem to say we got it right.
When you see all the political posturing that is going on with all parties claiming victory for this and that with all the full facts never given, it makes clear the need for independent organisations and councillors who will put people before politics.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 3 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 4 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 7 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 8 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 9 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 10 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670