Don’t be scared of free-thinkers’
AFTER reading the letters page of the Ely Standard last week in which it was implied that Independent candidates in next month s elections, who also happen to be members of the Ely Traders Association, were only standing on one issue, would not be respons
AFTER reading the letters page of the Ely Standard last week in which it was implied that Independent candidates in next month's elections, who also happen to be members of the Ely Traders Association, were only standing on one issue, would not be responsible and should think again.
I now write to correct this misconception, which is obviously being peddled by worried political party hacks who do not want free-thinkers in their midst - only those will toe the party line.
As an independent candidate for Ely East, I live and work here. Sitting as chairman of The Ely Perspective Riverside Group, being a trustee of the Ely and District Volunteer Bureau, as well as a volunteer driver, has given me a good insight of the local and district needs. This insight has been rounded off with membership of the Cambridgeshire Chamber of Commerce and Industry and ETA placing me in a good position to know nothing could be further from the truth than describing ETA or members as "one issue" wonders.
The ETA is made up of employees, customers, owners and members of the public who are interested in the city of Ely and East Cambs in general. Monthly meetings are held, with guest speakers invited such as the police, East Cambs District Council is regularly in attendance to act on, where possible, suggestions and concerns raised for the good of all.
You may also want to watch:
So, as you can see, this does not reflect a one cause association with blinkered members, just one that has listened and helped to champion an issue that is of importance to us all. 11,000 signatures would seem to say we got it right.
When you see all the political posturing that is going on with all parties claiming victory for this and that with all the full facts never given, it makes clear the need for independent organisations and councillors who will put people before politics.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online