Do Readers Have Memories Of Cambridge Road Camp?
DO any readers have memories of Cambridge Road Camp where I lived as a small boy around 1951? It was sited where the Ely Golf Club is now. My father, Charles Long, worked as a lorry driver for Darby s Sand and Gravel out of Sutton. He drove all over the p
DO any readers have memories of Cambridge Road Camp where I lived as a small boy around 1951? It was sited where the Ely Golf Club is now.
My father, Charles Long, worked as a lorry driver for Darby's Sand and Gravel out of Sutton. He drove all over the place with his loads from the gravel pits near Mepal. Later on he worked as an Ely postman after an accident which rendered him unable to drive a heavy vehicle.
Also, perhaps some readers may remember the light plane which crashed onto one of Darby's lorries in St Mary's Street, destroying the Old Forge and badly damaging the car showrooms. It was my father's lorry which was involved, but because he was off sick, his mate (Ginger, I think) drove down into Ely after picking up the lorry and unfortunately he was killed along with the trainee pilot and the tutor.
I would be tremendously grateful if anyone could give me details of the camp, Darby's Sand and Gravel information or pictures which I could copy and return. The accident was front page news in the Ely Standard but I have been unable to find it on the internet.
You may also want to watch:
My thanks and best wishes to anyone who responds to this request.
- 1 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 2 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 3 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 4 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 5 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 6 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 7 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 8 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 9 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
- 10 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
48 Cornwall Road
West Sussex BN 17 6EQ