District Counci Has Created Millions of Pounds Worth of Investment
WITH reference to comments published last week quoting the developer representing Focus DIY s application for a store on Lisle Lane, I felt compelled to address a number of comments made. East Cambridgeshire District Council, contrary to the developer s v
WITH reference to comments published last week quoting the developer representing Focus DIY's application for a store on Lisle Lane, I felt compelled to address a number of comments made.
East Cambridgeshire District Council, contrary to the developer's view, has over the last year approved numerous planning applications which will create thousands of jobs and millions of pounds of investment in the district. These range from new business parks to individual firms looking to expand their premises. In these difficult times, we have shown time and again how we support business growth.
Indeed, earlier this summer the council showed with its approval of an Aldi store on Lisle Lane, that if the development is of the right scale, in the right place to support the centre and importantly designed to compliment the conservation area then it will succeed.
Our officers base their recommendations on national planning guidelines and local policy. In the case of Focus DIY, far from being indifferent, they tried to advise the developers on how their building could enhance the area.
You may also want to watch:
Finally I would like to reassure the public that we are conscious not to make planning decisions based on the Ely Masterplan which has not yet been approved. The document is currently being re-examined by the council with the aim of including the public at every opportunity.
CLLR PHILIP READ
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 6 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Photos of the Week: Views along the river and sun-kissed skylines
Chairman of planning committee at East Cambridgeshire District Council