Disgusted by filthy state of Ely’s streets - please, council, implement some remedies
I AM a resident of the Ely area and am disgusted by the filthy state of the streets and general environment of the city.
The council department(s) responsible for cleanliness and maintenance are clearly not ‘fit for purpose’ and seriously failing in duty.
The numerous empty shop fronts are filthy. The pavements are strewn with litter and cigarette ends.
I appreciate that the council cannot be held responsible for the low-lifes who create this mess - but they clearly need to implement some remedies.
Perhaps the ‘job seekers’ could be designated a work schedule each day (with a broom and cart) to pick up and clean the streets in return for their benefits, instead of hanging around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes?
You may also want to watch:
These conditions could also apply to those sentenced to periods of community service and probation.
Ely Cathedral Flower Festival is fast approaching, which will doubtless attract many hundreds, if not thousands, of tourists.
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 3 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 7 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 8 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 9 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 10 Green light for off-licence despite objections
What a sad and horrid impression of this City will these visitors take away with them.
Ely needs a serious scrub-up. And fast!