Disgusted by filthy state of Ely’s streets - please, council, implement some remedies
I AM a resident of the Ely area and am disgusted by the filthy state of the streets and general environment of the city.
The council department(s) responsible for cleanliness and maintenance are clearly not ‘fit for purpose’ and seriously failing in duty.
The numerous empty shop fronts are filthy. The pavements are strewn with litter and cigarette ends.
I appreciate that the council cannot be held responsible for the low-lifes who create this mess - but they clearly need to implement some remedies.
Perhaps the ‘job seekers’ could be designated a work schedule each day (with a broom and cart) to pick up and clean the streets in return for their benefits, instead of hanging around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes?
You may also want to watch:
These conditions could also apply to those sentenced to periods of community service and probation.
Ely Cathedral Flower Festival is fast approaching, which will doubtless attract many hundreds, if not thousands, of tourists.
- 1 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 2 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 3 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 4 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 5 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 8 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 9 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
- 10 Our guide to The Library Presents' spring outdoor events series
What a sad and horrid impression of this City will these visitors take away with them.
Ely needs a serious scrub-up. And fast!