AS a local county councillor, I find it tough and sometimes heart-rending to be part of some of the cuts that are essential when we are trying to balance the council s budget. As a party, we Conservatives are trying to give maximum public service to th
AS a local county councillor, I find it tough and sometimes heart-rending to be part of some of the "cuts" that are essential when we are trying to balance the council's budget.
As a party, we Conservatives are trying to give maximum public service to the people of Cambridgeshire and at the same time trying to minimise Council Tax increases.
We are having to make cuts in services because central Government keeps reducing the funds that are given to the shire counties.
It makes me wild when I see that the Arts Council (which I believe is funded by central Government), has spent £97,500 - yes nearly £100,000 - on a 'work of art' for Ely waterside. Your paper quotes the district council as saying that none of the total of £127,000 has been met by taxpayers.
You may also want to watch:
Well, can they explain which 'money tree' provided these funds that did not come from tax payers so we can all visit it?
In my opinion, it is a disgrace that this money is being wasted on an art work that very few people want when bus services have to be cut, social care cut and Hinchingbrooke Hospital is in danger.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 10 ‘Distressed cries’ of beagles fuel animal research unit protest
I guess the local vandals will have a field day if/when this thing is erected.
When, oh when, will the voice of common sense be heard and when will the current Government listen to the people? This stupidity cannot continue.