AS a local county councillor, I find it tough and sometimes heart-rending to be part of some of the cuts that are essential when we are trying to balance the council s budget. As a party, we Conservatives are trying to give maximum public service to th
AS a local county councillor, I find it tough and sometimes heart-rending to be part of some of the "cuts" that are essential when we are trying to balance the council's budget.
As a party, we Conservatives are trying to give maximum public service to the people of Cambridgeshire and at the same time trying to minimise Council Tax increases.
We are having to make cuts in services because central Government keeps reducing the funds that are given to the shire counties.
It makes me wild when I see that the Arts Council (which I believe is funded by central Government), has spent £97,500 - yes nearly £100,000 - on a 'work of art' for Ely waterside. Your paper quotes the district council as saying that none of the total of £127,000 has been met by taxpayers.
You may also want to watch:
Well, can they explain which 'money tree' provided these funds that did not come from tax payers so we can all visit it?
In my opinion, it is a disgrace that this money is being wasted on an art work that very few people want when bus services have to be cut, social care cut and Hinchingbrooke Hospital is in danger.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 9 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
I guess the local vandals will have a field day if/when this thing is erected.
When, oh when, will the voice of common sense be heard and when will the current Government listen to the people? This stupidity cannot continue.