Did our MP tackle minister?
ON Jim Paice s website we can see this headline: Paice Challenges Minister over Mereham Inquiry. South East Cambridgeshire MP Jim Paice has today challenged Hazel Blears, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, about the current plan
ON Jim Paice's website we can see this headline: Paice Challenges Minister over Mereham Inquiry.
"South East Cambridgeshire MP Jim Paice has today challenged Hazel Blears, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, about the current planning inquiry into the proposed new town of Mereham, near Ely. Mr Paice said: 'I challenged Hazel Blears as to whether she would consider the outcome of the Mereham Inquiry against the views of the local councils and against the decision only a few years ago to put a new town at Northstowe.'"
Er, actually Jim, you didn't.
According to Hansard you said: "The right hon. Lady will understand that the issue is not just the number of houses to be built-everybody accepts that we need more-but where they are placed. In my constituency, a public inquiry is going on that will end up on her desk and I obviously do not expect her to pre-empt that decision, but can she assure me and my constituents that when she makes a decision on that inquiry it will be based on the current Cambridgeshire structure plan and the decisions, plans and strategies of locally elected people rather than allowing them to be overruled, as was implied by the inspector at the opening of the inquiry, by her objectives for far more houses, bearing in mind that we already have a new town only five or six miles away from the proposed site? Will the Secretary of State assure my constituents that she will judge the situation after allowing for the views of local people rather than simply allowing her figures to overrule any form of local accountability?"
You may also want to watch:
Please point me to the words Mereham and Northstowe.
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 6 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Photos of the Week: Views along the river and sun-kissed skylines