Dealing With Waste Is Going To Be A Major Problem For Years To Come
I READ with interest the article in last week s Ely Standard regarding the proposed Household Recycling Centre in Witchford. We all know that dealing with our waste is going to be one of the major challenges which we all face in the 21st Century. The Gove
I READ with interest the article in last week's Ely Standard regarding the proposed Household Recycling Centre in Witchford.
We all know that dealing with our waste is going to be one of the major challenges which we all face in the 21st Century. The Government has set all authorities tough targets for the amount of rubbish which ends up in landfill and we are working hard to hit our targets.
The new Household Recycling Centre, which the county council has applied to build between the A142 roundabout and an existing highways depot, will be one of the key developments which will help us all do more.
It will be a modern, purpose-built site which from the drawings and plans I have seen will be totally different to the Grunty Fen site, which has long since passed it's 'sell by date'.
We know there are concerns regarding the traffic and the possibility of fly tipping - all of which we fed back to the county in the district council's comments - but I fundamentally believe the centre will meet our requirements for years to come.
So I was actually heartened to read the comments attributed to a local district councillor from Witchford who said: "I'm sure the centre is going to be really good when it opens, but we want to make sure all the issues are sorted before it gets built."
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 3 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 4 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 5 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 8 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 9 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Efforts of Cambridgeshire’s Covid community champions recognised in Parliament
CLLR FRED BROWN
(District councillor for Littleport East)