Country Park Will Have To Be Managed
YES the plan for Ely s country park looks very nice, and the right man is at the helm (Cllr Mike Rouse) but are you talking about the old settling ponds opposite the factory, or are you talking about ones that are near Roswell pits. If you are talking of
YES the plan for Ely's country park looks very nice, and the right man is at the helm (Cllr Mike Rouse) but are you talking about the old settling ponds opposite the factory, or are you talking about ones that are near Roswell pits. If you are talking of the old settling ponds across from the factory, on the other side of the road, well yes these could be developed with more reed beds and open water and you might get one or two Bitterns coming as they are away from every day walkers, but these birds are shy and for them to be in Roswell pits?
The reeds will have to be managed like they do on the Norfolk Broads, if not; the waterways will get clogged up.
Is the council proposing to over-see these new areas and what rate of increase will it entail, or will the RSPB take it over and manage it?
What about the newly-formed Ely society that has a great say in Roswell pits. Are they going to manage it, they can then put money where their mouths are?
You may also want to watch:
All this needs is a great deal of money to manage it. Yes I am all for it, but, and I mean, but, look deeply at the running cost, all bushes and trees and grass areas need pruning back from time to time otherwise it will get out of control.
The old settling ponds could be one of Ely's biggest assets for wildlife, and if stocked with fish and eels, frogs, toads, newts, the aquatic birds would be there in no time.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k