Councillors weren’t seething with anger’
IN response to a story in the paper last week entitled Councillors Force Law Change , I was surprised to read how the committee meeting was reported. Reading the article, it would appear that all councillors, including myself, were seething with anger at
IN response to a story in the paper last week entitled 'Councillors Force Law Change', I was surprised to read how the committee meeting was reported.
Reading the article, it would appear that all councillors, including myself, were seething with anger at the Planning Department for the decisions which they make on behalf of the district council.
As chairman of the meeting, I recall the vast majority of the councillors on the Planning Committee actually praising the work of the planning officers. We went on to have a detailed and useful discussion about the best way to deal with major applications as they come into the planning system.
The outcome was officers committed to finding new ways to highlight the significant applications which they receive and councillors all made the pledge to study in far greater detail the weekly planning list when it is published. I summed the discussion up by saying we all had to be more alert when it comes to dealing with such applications for the benefit of the district.
You may also want to watch:
The emphasis which I took from the meeting was that we were all going to make the effort to work closer together and find ways of improving still further the service which we provide.
I think it was a pity the meeting wasn't reported more accurately as it has given the impression that the councillors were at war with the officers, when nothing could be further from the truth.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
Chairman of the Planning Committee
East Cambridgeshire District Council