Councillors in dock over store
WHAT is wrong with our councillors? They should all be sacked and a new lot put in their place. Let s face it, they could not do any worse. First they turn down Lidl supermarket, now it s Focus DIY. So they don t want out-of-town shopping, since when has
WHAT is wrong with our councillors? They should all be sacked and a new lot put in their place. Let's face it, they could not do any worse. First they turn down Lidl supermarket, now it's Focus DIY. So they don't want out-of-town shopping, since when has Lisle Lane been out of town. It was not out of town when they were trying to persuade us to park on the long stay car park off Lisle Lane.
As for Lidl, if that's out-of-town why have all the commuters and shoppers got to use the new car park even further away? Then we have the new car parking fiasco, who on earth thought that one up. It's complete madness. And finally, they have spent £27,000 on a useless bit of art down at The Maltings, that money could have been spent on the cinema. They will not be happy until most people in Ely go out of the city to shop and be entertained.
IT appears that the planners in the council have two new buzzwords: vitality and viability. They were used initially in blocking the Lidl supermarket. Why?
Tesco is in the same area. One can only assume that Tesco enhances the area!
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 8 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 9 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
Well, planners, ask the public. Not everyone wants to shop there and it would have been nice to have had an alternative. Now the planners have used the same two words again, this time to stop the proposal from Focus DIY. Perhaps the planners are pleasing themselves without a second thought that there would have been more choice for the public (competition keeps prices down). Also these two projects would have created around 80 jobs.
It seems a shame that these words are not used every time a large building firm wants to build a new village or yet another housing estate on any spare piece of land because these certainly do not add to the vitality or viability of the area.
CAN councillors tell me if it is a closed shop, regarding supermarkets? I know we have a Waitrose, but look what they had to do to get there.
I can't make out what harm it would do. I think it would boost trade, and do more good for the people around here to have a good choice of supermarkets (Lidl, Morrisons). More people might shop in Ely then.
On the other hand, I bet the plans for a raised deck gets passed.