Council Should Rethink Before Placing ADeC Under Future Threats Of Closure
I LIVE in south west Norfolk and over the years have participated in a number of ADeC-funded projects and attended countless exhibitions and other events, and would be absolutely horrified if Ely and its surrounding area lost this vital, creative, cultur
I LIVE in south west Norfolk and over the years have participated in a number of ADeC-funded projects and attended countless exhibitions and other events, and would be absolutely horrified if Ely and its surrounding area lost this vital, creative, cultural hub. As you are well aware, Ely is a beautiful and historic market town with a deeply ingrained cultural tradition and, in my view, it would be incredibly short-sighted of East Cambs DC to even consider severing this vital partnership at any stage.
I appreciate that we are living in times of economic hardship, and that funding cuts are inevitable, but fail to comprehend why, at times like these, councils always attack the same target. What I do understand is that, when the chips are down, the 'number crunchers view the arts as superficial, inessential luxury, icing on the cake, the preserve of the privileged. How wrong! Through its excellent programme, ADeC touches and enriches the lives of a diverse community and in dark times it is even more important to provide opportunities for pleasure and optimism and quiet contemplation.
It is for these reasons that I believe it is absolutely vital that ADec be allowed to continue its excellent and far-reaching work within the community, and I urge the council to think carefully in the future before placing ADeC under threat
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 6 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 10 Mayor's ‘hop-on hop-off' public travel revolution