Council Should Carry Out Common Sense Checks
RECENTLY, as I cycled through Ely I saw five black bags blowing around. Firstly, the men who leave them have stopped taking care to tuck them safely into letterboxes as they used to, or knotting them into twists that don t blow easily. Perhaps they are
RECENTLY, as I cycled through Ely I saw five black bags blowing around. Firstly, the men who leave them have stopped taking care to tuck them safely into letterboxes as they used to, or knotting them into twists that don't blow easily. Perhaps they are now under more time pressure?
Can I suggest that each household be supplied with a roll of 55 bags at start of a year. If they need more then they can pay for them! This would save time for the dustmen and save waste and unsightly litter.
On another matter, there have been two sets of roadworks at the southern end of Downham Road recently. Each time, the contractors left heavy and sharp-edged metal framed signs completely blocking pavements some days in advance. What about pedestrians, especially with pushchairs or shopping trolleys, and what about riders on mobility scooters? They would be left with the pavement blocked at a point where no dropped kerb existed. And in both cases walkers had to go into the road on a blind corner.
Some kind of sign is needed that can stand at the edge of the road with a narrow 'lollipop' notice for these situations. As it is, it's clear that motorists are totally given preference over pedestrians who are exposed to inconvenience, even danger, by these contractors blindly following usual procedures. Should an official from ECDC perhaps visually check work sites for lack of common sense?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Catering wars as converted horsebox trailer takes on National Trust
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Suspected building site burglars stopped in their tracks
- 5 Palmer's 'flagship' £100k homes will be council houses
- 6 Welcome to the Fens but can you guess which part?
- 7 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 8 Petition calls for more Cambs busways to be scrapped
- 9 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 10 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture