Correspondent From Sutton is After Me Again
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don t mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust s
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don't mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust's so-called Wicken Vision must seem amusing. That isn't how it looks at this end.
There is genuine concern that home and farm water supplies will be adversely affected by raising the water levels, because Fen water is mucky stuff. That in The Lodes is a lot cleaner, coming as it does from the chalk high lands.
There is genuine concern that pestilential insects will increase in and around these Fens: indeed, the National Trust has already admitted as much. As to malaria, who can tell?
And there is genuine concern that, given 'success' for the 'vision', some 15,000 acres of fine food growing Fen land, excepting those areas to be under water, will become a jungle of elder bushes, ragwort and stinging nettles, for that is the plant life that comes as quick as a flash down here.
You may also want to watch:
I'm tempted to ask what this Sutton man really knows about these Fens but, in the meantime, I am told by my friends and neighbours: "more power to your elbow".
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 7 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely