Correspondent From Sutton is After Me Again
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don t mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust s
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don't mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust's so-called Wicken Vision must seem amusing. That isn't how it looks at this end.
There is genuine concern that home and farm water supplies will be adversely affected by raising the water levels, because Fen water is mucky stuff. That in The Lodes is a lot cleaner, coming as it does from the chalk high lands.
There is genuine concern that pestilential insects will increase in and around these Fens: indeed, the National Trust has already admitted as much. As to malaria, who can tell?
And there is genuine concern that, given 'success' for the 'vision', some 15,000 acres of fine food growing Fen land, excepting those areas to be under water, will become a jungle of elder bushes, ragwort and stinging nettles, for that is the plant life that comes as quick as a flash down here.
I'm tempted to ask what this Sutton man really knows about these Fens but, in the meantime, I am told by my friends and neighbours: "more power to your elbow".
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you