Correspondent From Sutton is After Me Again
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don t mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust s
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don't mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust's so-called Wicken Vision must seem amusing. That isn't how it looks at this end.
There is genuine concern that home and farm water supplies will be adversely affected by raising the water levels, because Fen water is mucky stuff. That in The Lodes is a lot cleaner, coming as it does from the chalk high lands.
There is genuine concern that pestilential insects will increase in and around these Fens: indeed, the National Trust has already admitted as much. As to malaria, who can tell?
And there is genuine concern that, given 'success' for the 'vision', some 15,000 acres of fine food growing Fen land, excepting those areas to be under water, will become a jungle of elder bushes, ragwort and stinging nettles, for that is the plant life that comes as quick as a flash down here.
You may also want to watch:
I'm tempted to ask what this Sutton man really knows about these Fens but, in the meantime, I am told by my friends and neighbours: "more power to your elbow".
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 3 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 4 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 7 Photographer Dan flies high after winning national competition
- 8 Handcuffed duo prepare to make London Marathon history
- 9 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 10 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust