Correspondent From Sutton is After Me Again
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don t mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust s
YOUR correspondent from Sutton is after me again and I suppose that our verbal tussle amuses your readers. I don't mind in the least being teased and taunted and seen from Sutton, the concerns of my friends and neighbours affected by the national Trust's so-called Wicken Vision must seem amusing. That isn't how it looks at this end.
There is genuine concern that home and farm water supplies will be adversely affected by raising the water levels, because Fen water is mucky stuff. That in The Lodes is a lot cleaner, coming as it does from the chalk high lands.
There is genuine concern that pestilential insects will increase in and around these Fens: indeed, the National Trust has already admitted as much. As to malaria, who can tell?
And there is genuine concern that, given 'success' for the 'vision', some 15,000 acres of fine food growing Fen land, excepting those areas to be under water, will become a jungle of elder bushes, ragwort and stinging nettles, for that is the plant life that comes as quick as a flash down here.
I'm tempted to ask what this Sutton man really knows about these Fens but, in the meantime, I am told by my friends and neighbours: "more power to your elbow".
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 6 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 9 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 10 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet