Concerned About Location Of New Sports Complex
AS grandmothers, my local friends and I are very concerned indeed about the lack of suitability of the location of the planned new sports complex (Ely Standard, June 25) There has already been a great influx of young families to be catered for in Ely with
AS grandmothers, my local friends and I are very concerned indeed about the lack of suitability of the location of the planned new sports complex (Ely Standard, June 25)
There has already been a great influx of young families to be catered for in Ely with many more to come. These young parents would not be happy to allow their children to travel by cycle or walk to a site off the A10 - much too dangerous. This would result in more traffic around the town ferrying children and themselves to and from the new centre.
Instead of the leading townsfolk being obsessed with the location of new supermarkets, surely the first priority should be the relocating of a new sports complex to Lisle Lane next to the proposed Country Park - a safe and easily accessible pedestrian location for all ages of the growing population of Ely.
I have observed in other parts of the country that good, central, well equipped leisure centres very quickly become friendly, healthy meeting points in a town.
You may also want to watch:
I realise the powers that be will be shouting 'what about the finance?' but if both the land the Paradise Sports Centre now stands on and the land off the A10 were sold this ever present problem would be partially solved.
- 1 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 2 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 3 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 4 'We have a duty to follow planning policies': Council's firm stance over pub's giant mug
- 5 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 6 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
- 7 First homes approved for Waterbeach Barracks
- 8 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 9 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book