Community need to stick together
LAST week I found the Geoff Griggs column dreary, full of misconception and his flight of imagination that there is a conspiracy to do the voters down is startling. I feel that he may have a poor me complex. Just so that you are aware of why I am writi
LAST week I found the Geoff Griggs column dreary, full of misconception and his flight of imagination that there is a conspiracy to do the voters down is startling. I feel that he may have a 'poor me' complex.
Just so that you are aware of why I am writing, I am at present the deputy mayor of Ely and hope to be mayor next year.
I find it irritating that the press always seem to be trying to whip up trouble or conflict between Ely and the surrounding towns and villages. We are a rural community, we should work and stick together, we should not be resentful of each other, divided we fall, united we have a chance of winning.
I feel Mr Griggs comments that the East Cambs booklet contains more information about Ely really not necessary as most people understand that more people live in Ely so it's obvious more money is spent in Ely. It is important for us to know how or why the money was spent; this information should also be detailed.
I am not a district councillor and do not propose to defend them, however, I suspect that the cash desk was closed because very few people used it. This makes sense to me as I do not want the council to waste my money on providing services that are not popular.
However what really rattled my cage were his silly comments regarding Direct Debit payments. Has he ever read the DD guarantee? DD is by far the best, safest, economical, efficient and reliable method of paying all bills. You are never penalised for paying late and you may even get a discount by using DD. The DD guarantee ensures that if the provider of any service or product were to collect an amount of money from your account you had not authorised or agreed it takes just one phone call to your own bank and the money is immediately returned to your account. It's called an indemnity claim. Just try and get back money you had paid in advance or as a deposit or mistakenly paid by cheque, cash, debit card, credit card, standing order or even swipe card and you will have a battle on your hands. I suggest to everyone that if they can pay their bills by DD just do so, it's secure.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
On the other hand, I agree with his comments regarding people standing for district council, we need fresh ideas to better serve the community and drive down the increases in rates. I will therefore be shortly announcing my intention to stand for election in the Ely North ward.